Friday, February 12, 2010

One Year


On February 12, 2009, Bennett had his first set of seizures.

Happened around 7-ish or so in the evening. Very slight. Hardly noticeable. Watching him have them for the first time was almost comical...I thought he was just playing some kind of game, doing some kind of 'kid thing'.

Turned out he wasn't.

It's been exactly one year.

What a year.

It feels like ten.

I think I have some things I want to say about it...I think I do.

Not sure.

I wanted to at least acknowledge the date, I feel compelled to do so, kind of a thing where I feel to NOT acknowledge it is something that doesn't honor my son. But I can't gather my thoughts or pierce through my emotions today to write something clever or witty or insightful about reaching the one year mark.

It's powerful. More powerful than I thought it would be, despite the fact that it is a day like any other day, and nothing is really different today than it was yesterday or will be tomorrow.

And yet it affects me in ways I can't even put into words.

That's some funky shit.

Since my own mind is too jacked up, I'll just quote a great Eastern philosopher, a very wise, very respected individual in his day, and leave it at that.

For now.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Lao-Tzu
(604 BC - 531 BC)


OUT...

12 comments:

  1. Well you all have come a LONG way in a year. So much has changed for you all, but you are all still standing.

    You have an amazing son Ken.

    Can't wait until we can celebrate the one year anniversary of the seizures being gone!

    {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post ....this post I totally get.

    Sending you peace as you wade through your complex emotions.Rejoicing on how very far you have come from that day in February of last year.Funny,but not in the ha,ha,way... Zoey began her seizures in February as well.. the 2nd to be exact.Was feeding her cereal,feeling like I was on top of the world,watched her do her first head drop and was instantly dropped into that dark world of knowing something,something was not right.

    Love that quote.Wore that quote on a ring when I ran my marathon.

    Walk on blog friend.You'll find your way.Your destination.You all will.Especially Bennett.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I may have mentioned this before, but Marissa's seizure anniversary is Sunday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. May this next year be easier on you all than the last one. Here's to the seizure-free future, and congratulations on making it through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite quotes is "little by little, one walks far." Similar thought. You've been on quite a journey and I'm sure it's shocking to look back and realize it's only been a year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peace. More than anything my friend, I wish you peace. You, and Jen and Carter and Bennett deserve Peace. Miss you. Prayed for you by name 10 min. ago. Still believe! Later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Joyce, I believe to ackowledge is necessary to move forward. Peace to all of you from here on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get it. I hope you will soon be celebrating a seizure-free anniversary, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bet you never thought it would have taken you on such a journey. Glad to find another e-friend I am keeping BUT sorry we had to find that friendship in these circumstances.

    One day this will be where it belongs: history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes memories fad but I don't think I will ever forget when Sophie had her first set of jackknife seizures. NEVER. I can't wait until we both get to celebrate a year of seizure freedom. It has been 8 months and 16 days for Sophie. And as that one year mark is creeping up, I am getting anxious. It is a milestone that I want to celebrate BIG but at the same time, I can't wait for it to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maddie's IS diagnosis anniversary is Feb 19th though she'd been having the mysterious eye deviations since Dec 29. So over a year now and we are nowhere near SF. Can't wait to be able to begin a count-forward from whenever that happens.

    Happy not such a happy day to commemorate! Echoing Sinead, can't wait til it's just history we've all put behind us.

    ReplyDelete