Monday, July 11, 2011

M:iP! Clarification, an Apology & a Tiny Teaser


Got a note this morning, or maybe yesterday...days are a bit blurry right now, regarding the Mission: iPossible! project that we have started. It was from one of the participants in the contest who won an iPad. No need to inform you of who that is at this time, not unless this person wishes it.

Anyway, the gist of the message was that the winner had informed the original contest hosts that they no longer wanted to be in consideration for the iPad, and as a courtesy also wanted to inform me of the same. Although the winner was appreciative of what I announced and had some very nice things to say, the reason given was that one had already been purchased and so, therefore, no iPad was needed.

I haven't asked yet, but if I receive permission when I finally get the Mission: iPossible! blog up (which will act as our main website for the time being) and create the Winners Page so that I can have a checklist once winners receive their iPads, I'll list the winner there and have them as 'checked off'.

So, this got me to thinking...I made a, let's call it a somewhat arrogant presumption, that I need to apologize for. I presumed, wrongly, that the people on the winners list of the original contest would simply come on over, no muss no fuss, and be a willing participant in this project.


That was a fairly stupid conclusion to jump to, I wasn't really thinking. I'm sorry about that.

It is still, as you can see in various comments sections (not HERE of course, people don't leave 60 comments HERE) a fairly divisive issue.

I understand that, I really do, and I respect it completely.

So I need to 'put out the call' so to speak. If you were a winner of the original iPad contest, and you wish to be considered in this restoration project, please e-mail me at klilly@creatusmaximus.com so that I can add your name to our list.

Please put Mission: iPossible! iPad Project into the Subject line, and include your Name and contact information in the e-mail, along with any other information you think I need to know. Any good jokes are also welcome. I love a good laugh.

This list will remain private until I receive clearance from the participants in written form to post it publicly. I am simply trying to get a 'head-count' so to speak, since it will help when trying to calculate an end-goal. Hopefully you all can understand how important that is to actually working out all the necessary details to achieve that goal. Need to raise some capital!

Does that clarify things a bit? Hope so. I'm looking at a couple of days before I get the basic site structure of M:iP! up and running. I know...it doesn't take THAT long to create a blog from a template. But we do have other things to consider and some details to finalize.

And OH YEAH...I almost forgot...the tease part. Our little group has already secured its first iPad, via donation, and a couple other interesting things, and that means one recipient, as soon as we know who actually wants to BE a recipient, could be selected as early as tomorrow.



It is our intention to, hopefully, be able to announce that recipient, with photos and everything, as soon as the MiP! blog goes live in a couple of days!

How do ya like DEM...um...Apples?

You don't KNOW how long I've been waiting to say that. OK, just one day, but it felt like forever. :P

OUT.

25 comments:

  1. I'll email you soon letting you know our decision. We just (as in 4 minutes ago) got an email from Mike saying that there are no iPads. I was kind of waiting to hear the final outcome on that before telling you for sure whether or not we would want to be involved with Mission iPossible. Cause, heck, we sure don't need 2 iPads. And I'm not interested in getting 2 and selling one of them honestly.
    I'm not sure if anyone else felt this way, but I was just a little hesitant to get on board with this. Afterall the blogosphere hasn't been too kind to us recently. I guess everything is just a little too fresh....so to have another blogger come along and say "Oh, don't worry. We'll get your your iPad." I dunno, I'm just a little hesitant. I'm sure you understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've sent you an email, Ken, and would love to find a way to help out.

    Like the Lundgrens, I also was hesitant, but if it will help our son, Jake and Finn, I'm in.

    It's all very strange, isn't it? And, very sad. Thanks for trying to turn this mess around. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, I just have to laugh. I love that you have a picture of the iPad including the bar code. Big grins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just sent you an email. I was so saddened by the various turns of events and especially how ugly things had gotten. I appreciate what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand anyone being hesitant. And I have to be clear about one thing again...this is not a promise in any way...as far as delivery of an iPad. I never said 'Don't worry we'll get you your iPad.' It is only a promise of doing every single thing we can possibly do to TRY to get everybody on that list the iPad.

    Is it a difficult task? Yes. It is an impossible task? No. I think it is an achievable task, one that may take some time, as I have said, but every effort will be made.

    And that's all we can really promise. I just want to be sure that is clear before you proceed with any false set of beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, Ken. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I totally understand where you're coming from and I understand this is an attempt to get iPads to each family, not a promise.
    Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. Thank you for taking this fiasco and making it positive. And a picture of an iPad in the box? Quadruple thank you!
    Just sent you our "in!" email.
    My offer stands...let me know how I can help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We, also, just sent our "in" email. It's so unfortunate and utterly sickening, and I know I will be looking into possible legal ramifications of this. However hesitant I may be of blogging giveaways right now, even a small chance of helping my son is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ken- have I told you lately that you rock?

    And Heather- though I know we haven't always seen eye to eye, thank you also for helping out in this. Though we aren't in need, I did financially support MB becuase I do know so many deserving children.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will second that: Ken, you rock. I am thrilled you were so quickly able to get your hands on an iPad and be able to give it away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ken,

    I think it’s wonderful what Heather and you are trying to accomplish. My family has no involvement with this ‘contest’; but I can certainly empathize with families struggling to provide assistive devices and pay for therapies in these difficult economic times. Due to funding constraints in our school district, the ESE student/staff ratio has become unmanageable, and we’ll have to put EM in private school this year. Don’t ask me how we’re going to pay for it.

    I believe your best hope would be for you, Heather and Ellen to contact Holly Robinson Peete at the HollyRod Foundation, and apprise her of this unfortunate situation. Her organization has the expertise and track record in this area, having given iPads to deserving recipients within the past few months.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks all...important to note...VERY important to note, that this isn't all me or Heather, and in fact, it is WAY more Heather than me as far as the work involved and the germination of the idea.

    I'm the 'writer' of our group, so I have sort of assumed that role. And some other things. But Heather, and two other people, who you will be introduced to in detail when MiP launches are the real driving force behind most of this.

    In many ways, I almost feel bad because I am originating these posts...by no means is this The Ken Lilly Show. It is a TOTAL GROUP EFFORT, and that group is growing. Already people are volunteering help, assets, money, time...it's unreal.

    I have received some e-mails, and I've only had a chance to respond to a couple, but will hit the rest tomorrow. I need some beauty sleep.

    Have you seen my face lately?

    I won't need a Halloween costume this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just sent you an email. My daughter, Romy, was one of the 'winners.' This a great idea Kenneth and Heather! It restores my faith in the SN blogging community. Let me know what we can do to help out in anyway. I believe I read about one kid who got pushed to the bottom of a therapy list because he was supposedly supposed to receive an iPad from Mike. I think he should get first dibs, just a thought though. Can't wait to see how this pans out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ken, Heather and the rest of the group you totally ROCK!

    My daughter was an iPad winner but we are good at our front we went ahead and purchased our child one. I couldn't wait that long for Ashley to have a voice so I purchased one.

    You are truly outstanding!!

    You truly made lemonade out of a lemon. I'm sure you will get iPads in everyone hands sooner then you think with goodwill there is aways a way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I'll just address your welcoming jokes, here, since I don't need an iPad but have observed and been a part of this whole shebang from the beginning. So, I'm just going to continue to sit here by the dock of the bay and watch the tide roll away.

    In all seriousness, if I can help in any way, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not a part of the SN community, I don't even have children. I'm just a reader. A random person who followed a link from a webcomic to a blog about a little girl. From there I started reading other blogs, ones that opened my eyes to things I never would have thought about before.

    In all this I have to wonder, do the sites that were linking to him this whole time know about all this, the ones outside of the SN community? Ctrl+Alt+Del, Least I Could Do, and the biggest one, Penny Arcade, who have their own legit charity? Because I have a feeling a whole other community isn't quite aware about what happened here.

    Either way, I'm sorry about what happened here and I'm glad to see someone is trying to make it right. If you decide to take donations, I'll definitely chip in. It won't be much, but I'd like to give what I can.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Val - I emailed all three web comics this morning directed them to Love That Max and offering more information if they wanted it. I too, read PA; though I didn't know they had mentioned MB at all. My husband reads the other two... So so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Cortney - The reason I brought it up is because PA has been very supportive of MB over the years. There is usually a Fairfax bunny sitting on the table at their panels at PAX events. CAD just mentioned the giveaways and Lar DeSouza, the artist for LICD, posted and tweeted about them. Bungie has also given them support over the years.

    I wasn't sure about how much of this the SN community knew and just felt it should be brought to someone's attention. Thank you for e-mailing them, I thought it would be more appropriate to come from someone affected by this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Val - I hope G&T say something about it if they were that supportive. I didn't go into details in my email, but just stated I heard they were supporters and thought they should be aware.

    I have updated my blog post this morning with everything I had including all email correspondence from March 21 to yesterday. I can't even being to explain how sickened I felt putting it all together.

    http://fxsadayatatime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ya know, brother, you can call yourself something less than a "man" to me all you like, I think everyone who knows both of us, knows definitively, that you are a far better man than I could ever hope to be.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How does one donate to this new effort?

    ReplyDelete
  23. No way, Steve, no way.

    As for donating...funny you should mention that, we were JUST talking about that. We are not set up for it yet. Believe it or not, we are really, honest and no bullshit, checking out the legitimacy of the LEGALITY of accepting donations without non-profit status.

    It sucks to wait, amongst us we are all going bonkers, but we need to very sure that we do this the 'right' way before we just go off running and screaming like banshees through the fields.

    But as soon as we know you will, I promise you that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think as long as you don't *tell* people you're a non-profit, you can always accept donations; it's just illegal for the donors to deduct them on their taxes. I think it's always legal to just give someone money, although you'd want to be careful of the tax implications on your end. I'll wait for more official word though.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Let me know Beth, I am curious about that. It is my belief that anyone can give anything to anyone, you're right, it is just a matter of taxes and the like.

    We think we have the germination of a good system idea that would engender trust and also allow for transparency and some forward movement without waiting for a non-profit link-up, though that would still be an end-goal. More on that in a bit...

    ReplyDelete