Friday, December 16, 2011

I Think I'm Gonna Hurl


This week has been full of surprises.

And not just of the kind that have been spawned by keeping my head OUT of the world of X-Box Live. Though it has certainly helped to spend more time with the family, don't get me wrong, and I have made some amazing strides in getting to some things that have been languishing of late, and not just me in the role of 'Daddy'.

For example, dealing with the giant piles of junk in the basement that ALL got shifted around when our house started falling apart. Started making a dent in that the other night. Trying to get all that moved, organized, settled. Found a few things I thought we'd lost or misplaced. That's always nice.

Too bad it wasn't a wad of cash, and I'll tell you why.

Because right now, a wad of cash might quell my urge to vomit.


See, over at Mission: iPossible!, we ran an iPad giveaway over the past two weeks right? Well, at first I was like...hmm...I really screwed up here, because since I have been in La-La Land for a couple of months and not given this organization what I should have, and lots of other things in my Life, it is NOT getting the attention it really could be. SO there were not a lot of entries for the 2 iPads that Heather had managed to procure through donation.

But THEN...something very, very weird happened.

Deadline came for the contest. Had to randomly generate the 2 Recipients from a list of 22 Applicants. Well, first I had to actually disqualify one of the entries because of a problem with meeting the entry requirements. That by itself made me very, very woozy.

But then having to actually put down, in writing, and say to 20 other people that their kids are NOT getting iPads, when we spent the tail end of the summer telling 20 kids they WERE getting iPads? My hands, literally, were shaking and I felt like I was gonna puke.


20 got them. 20 didn't. I did not care for that little slice of numerical irony one damn bit.

It was tougher than I imagined it might be. So much so that I even questioned whether I ever wanted to do anything like it again. For a nanosecond. Then I wanted to start planning out parameters for a third Mission as soon as time permits.

I have to stay determined and stay focused and get some more folks involved.

But most importantly? I gotta remember...stay POSITIVE.

For me? Not the easiest of tasks. But not impossible either. I will simply have to put forth some effort. But I can manage it. Hey...if I can give up my X-Box controllers for a week I think I can manage it. And I never even mentioned in the blog (was too busy playing X-Box, 'NATCH) that two weeks ago yesterday was my THREE YEAR ANNIVERSARY from having smoked my last cigarette. Ever.

So yeah...there are SOME things I can accomplish when I try.

Sure, I could choose to dwell on the 20/20 numerical thing...OR, I could look at it this way. The numbers equating to each other don't really mean DIDDLY DOO-DOO. That's a technical term.

What matters, what REALLY matters, is number of lives changed.

Period.

And that number keeps growing.

Period.

As long as I keep that juicy piece of info at the forefront of my simian-like pea-sized brain, I ought to do OK, don'tcha think?

OUT.

4 comments:

  1. Nice. Considering you just gave away $1000, I'd say you and your partners are doing very well in the life changing department! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken - you're a better man than I could ever hope to be. I'd kill for your kind of strength. Hang in there - you're an inspiration, and I mean that in the least cheesy cloying way possible. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, your doing fabulous my friend! Sometimes we want to help everybody, and thats just not possible. We can keep on trying though!

    ReplyDelete