Monday, April 27, 2009

Artists Alley: Kim Mattison

So far in these Artist Alley blogs I have shown some people who I encounter over at deviantART, and for the most part that may be what I do most of the time here. But occasionally I may break that tradition, like right now.

I used to work for a company called Palisades Toys. Lots of people who read this know that. They also know that after about a year and a half there, maybe 2, things got super duper busy and we hired a Production Assistant named Kim Mattison. Ever since she came on board there, we've been good friends, and even though the company is no more and I haven't seen her, damn, since 2006 at the San Diego Comic-Con I believe, we still keep in touch.

Lately she had been e-mailing me anything she can find that has been funny. She does this to cheer me up since she knows all about the daily melancholy I experience over my son Bennett's condition.

But a couple of years ago, and I don't exactly recall the circumstances, I was battling one of my various depressions, might have even just been the fact that I missed Palisades and missed Baltimore and was struggling trying to make things work in my life, and she would e-mail me what she called 'A Picture a Day for Ken'.

It was a great gesture from a great friend, but more than that these little 'digital paintings' she would put together were damn cool in their own right. Typically they would relate to some thing that we might have talked about, or not, just depended on what was going on, her mood and probably how rushed she was that day. And wouldn't you know it...they actually DID cheer me up.

I wanted to share some of my favorites with you now, and take a public moment to say thanks Kim. I know you read this, and I told you I was going to do it at some point a while back so that you were cool with it, but thanks for the support. Support in the beginning when we were such a great partnership in product development, in the middle after I left and then moved out of state, and beyond that to the right now. Your friendship always has always been unique and special.








3 comments:

  1. Cool stuff Kim! I like the fourth one the best. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah The lovely Kim Mattison. I think it's impossible for any geek to meet her and not develop a little crush on her. Funny, smart and beautiful. That's the trifecta in nerdville.
    She was always so awesome and so gracious on my panels at Comic Con back in the day. And the work you guys did together STILL can't be beat.

    What happened to Kim? I know she was working for DST for awhile and then I thought she was back working for Mike at SwagDog last I heard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She left Thunder Creek/Swag Dog and started working for a company that makes items that go into gumball machines. Can't remember the name of the company, but it's in Baltimore.

    ReplyDelete