Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bobalicious

EDIT:
Totally didn't remember that I had this in a queue and the date must have been today. Woke up and signed in and saw this had gone live. Man, it certainly seems out of place this week, don't it? :)


Medicom is just pumping the Star Wars stuff out lately.

They recently put out the 10th (and I hope not the last) series of Star Wars Kubrick figures, based on Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Cool set. Got no secret figs in the two cases I bought. Bugger.

And absolutely, as expected, I did not get any of the chase figures in the new case of Boba Fett Kubrick figures I ordered. Yes, you heard me...Medicom released an ENTIRE wave dedicated to the galaxy's most famous bounty hunter. The set contains six versions of Boba Fett along with the aforementioned chase figures. Did I mention I don't have any of the chase figures? Yeah...

Here are the main six figures in the assortment.

Boba Fett as he appeared in the short cartoon that was the only semi-cool part of the greatest embarrassment of the entire universe of Star Wars...the much maligned Star Wars Holiday Special, in 1978.


Boba Fett as he appeared in what is, to me, the SECOND greatest embarrassment of the Star Wars Universe...the television series called Star Wars: Droids, an animated turd that stunk up Saturday mornings in 1985.


Boba Fett as he appeared in one of his many early concept forms. There are a lot of different variations of what is typically referred to as 'Proto Fett', and it is discussed in some very interesting detail on the Star Wars website, in Proto Fett: The Birth of Boba. This figure is based on one of the middle versions of Fett, as visualized by Joe Johnston.


Boba Fett as he appeared in one of the last of the concept forms. This figure, based on one of the Joe Johnston concepts, is the one which actually got prototyped into a full costume, with the muted white color scheme.


Eventually the all-white version was re-painted to the more colorful version we ultimately fell in love with in The Empire Strikes Back.


Boba Fett as he appeared in an even earlier concept drawing by the man who shaped the look of a ton of the original Star Wars universe, the great Ralph McQauarrie. This conceptual Fett is my favorite, though my opinion is probably biased...because while Star Wars was the reason I picked up a pencil and started drawing like a crazy person when I was ten years old, McQuarrie's artwork was the reason I never put the pencil down again. His original Star Wars Portfolio was one of the single greatest things I ever owned. And of course, The Art of Star Wars, which I got in 1979 at Christmas...


...which was loaded with McQuarrie illustrations, sealed the deal. Nifty, huh?


Lastly, the assortment is rounded out by a version of Boba Fett based on the original KENNER action figure, first released in 1979. A great interpretation of the funky Kenner interpretation, and one of the coolest ones in the entire set.


That's it for Kubrick stuff for this week. Though I did recently pick up the 400% Indiana Jones, just never had a chance to shoot it yet.

OUT...


6 comments:

  1. I didn't have the white portfolio- I had the blue covered Star Wars sketchbook. It came out between Star Wars (pre any of this New Hope nonsense) and ESB.

    Detailed the Tie Bomber well before we saw it on screen. Felt like forbidden knowledge to an 8 year old.


    This one:

    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Sketchbook-Joe-Johnston/dp/B001IZ2H98/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248352595&sr=1-2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha..so I'm not the only one who has posts in draft! good!

    Plus...the other day someone was giving away a box of StarWars toys on freecycle. I almost picked them up for you...but then second guessed myself.

    ...danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude you're a toy maker, and weaver of dreams (in plastic form)

    Toy news, or reflection is never "seems out of place". And if it surprised you, well at least it was something unexpected on a day that is probably planned from top to bottom.

    Take care of yourself and the wife.

    Hope the drive goes well, and that everything with Bennett goes as well as can be expected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was that the same "Art of Star Wars" $20 book that you sold to some 9th grade idiot for $40? I remember it like it was yesterday, as I forked over the money you smiled and said, "Richard, this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike:
    Ooooooo...always wanted that one. Missed it when it came out.

    D:
    Yeah, I have about 40 drafts of things, some I like, some I don't, and sometimes I forget one that is scheduled instead of saved as a draft.
    And toys are ALWAYS good.

    Telmo:
    Not making toys these days, though I am back into collectibles.

    Richard:
    I only charged you double because it was out of print and we didn't have stuff like eBay in those days. No secondary market. But wow...scary to know I was a secondary market whore even when I was 13. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know about that white "proto-Fett" concept at all. I learn something all the time from your blog, Ken!

    ReplyDelete