Friday, November 20, 2009

Another Week in my Rear-View Mirror

I can't think of a better way to cap off a very difficult week for me than posting up the rest of the photos that I started to show in last Friday's Blog, photos of the kids and their cheesy 'studio' portraits they get every year at school.

Not unlike this kind of portrait, of yours truly, taken in 1972 when I was a mere 5 years old.


Now, when I say 'cheesy' studio portrait don't get me wrong. I like cheesy studio portraits. There is a place for them in this universe. Are they as cool as some pro photographer shots or as cool as some candids and stuff? No. But they have their sense of nostalgia, and I am nothing if not sentimental as hell.

Here are the rest of Bennett's, taken in early November.




That last one is a class pic, that's the group of 'Age Two-ish' kids that all hang in one of the rooms. It may very be the last group portrait of him with so-called 'normal' children in a classroom setting for a while. At some point he will be transfered to a different facility for more specialized learning.

Now, here's Carter's pics from the same shooting day. Let's not forget about him. He loves hamming it up for the camera. Apologies about the haircut. We actually DO care how the boy looks, but he is more afraid of haircuts than I am of sharks. He screams when you cut his hair, and we have no idea why. So when he gets it done it is done fast with a 'do-the-best-you-can' instruction given to the unfortunate hair cutter at Cookie Cutters. We tip her A LOT.





That last shot is of Carter and his 'class'. Officially, Carter could be in Kindergarten, but because he turned 5 late in the year we decided to let him mature a bit more before putting him into the public school system. He needs it. One day he'll be glad we did it.

Have a good weekend everybody. It's crazy wacky here for tomorrow's Ohio State vs. Michigan game. Seriously I have never seen anything like it. Even if Ohio State lost every game of the season but won this SINGLE game, Buckeye fans would be happy. That is wild.

I'll watch the game. I have to, I live in Columbus.

OUT...

6 comments:

  1. Love the photos -- your kids are both adorable, but I have to say my favorite is the one of you. I can't get over that collar on the shirt. Could it have been any bigger or pointier? So classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww...I think you're all super cute!

    ...danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! we got our girls' school photos back and I have to say, this is the first time that we were really happy with the pictures. Last year, my oldest looked like she was ready to cry in the pictures!! *sigh* I'll have to scan them at home and post on my blog....

    Oh and that second pic of Bennett, he looked like he was up to something! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recently, I have been scanning tons of old photos to keep safe...Your school photo made me smile...I am all into the "nostalgia" thing, for some reason...Maybe 'cause things were so much easier then..???...

    Anyway, I really enjoyed seeing you at that young age...You are such a cutie pie, and I Can see you in both Carter and Bennett! What a good-looking family!!!

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all of you for your comments. They are adorable kids. I was a cute kid too. I was a good looking young adult as well if you don't mind me saying. All the way into my 30's.

    As a middle-aged man? Oh boy, the years have NOT been kind, lemme tell ya. I certainly would have a VERY hard time in the dating world these days, but thankfully that ain't gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pictures are like a blast from the past, because they remind me of mine too, and they were mostly like those too.

    But the real blast from the past came when you wrote about Carter not liking to have his hair cut. BECAUSE I DID THE EXACT SAME THING!

    I don't know why, but I remember hating it, and this was when I was very young, like between 2 and 4 years old, so it was such an intense feeling that it made an imprint memory that I can still feel today. But I also remember that when the hairdresser I would go to at the time, saw me with one of my parents at the door, the guys would turn white, because he knew what was going to happen next, I think he always got at least as nervous as I would get.

    I don't know why I hated it, because I always loved people fondling my hair, I still would like it if I hadn't become bald, and had a shaved head, but even without hair I still love it when someone runs their fingers through my scalp.

    But the important part if that I grew out of it and while I had hair I loved going to a hairdresser's and having it cut, and try different styles of different cuts, etc. I'm cure Carter will grow out of it too, as soon as vanity settle in! LOL

    ReplyDelete