2009 Questions and Answers
I found this over at Katy's blog called Bird on the Street a LONG time ago, but never got around to actually answering the questions in 2009, but I have some time today and am looking for subjects, so I figured what the hell. It was in my blog drafts, so I figured I'd finish it and post it.
Been struggling of late to come up with blog material that I think people might actually find interesting that does not involve the latest frustrations over Bennett's situation, and this'll do for now.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
Watched a human being recover from brain surgery.
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I made none at all. I was shell-shocked when 2010 began, and wasn't in a resolutiony mood. But do I need to set some goals? Hell yes. In fact, I found an old Goal Sheet that I want to share at some point that I must have written 20 years ago. It's interesting.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did someone close to you die?
A friend's pet did. When I was around that dog I always loved him.
5. What countries did you visit?
Detroit is SORT OF like another country.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you didn't have in 2009?
The ability to be positive.
7. What dates from 2009 will be etched in your memory and why?
February 12th, August 27th and December 22nd. Will never forget them.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
Working on NFL merchandise.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Working on NFL merchandise.
10. Did you suffer illness of injury?
My PTSD, Depression and Anxiety all came back with a vengeance. Worst ever. But ironically, I did not really get super sick all year. Maybe one small cold.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Laptop computer. Changed everything for me.
12. Who's behavior merited celebration?
Every single human being that is watching their kid suffer that I met either online, spoke with on the phone or met in person in 2009. Each of these unique, wonderful people are inspiration to me every single day.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
There was one guy in 2009 I had major problems with. Ain't gonna name names, but holy shit what a nightmare. I found his behavior to be despicable.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Hotels in Cleveland, Medical stuff, gasoline for the many road trips to Cleveland, Detroit and such, and toys for the boys.
15. What did you get really, really excited about?
It was hard to get really excited after February 12th. Really hard. I guess if I had to pick it was reading some of the blogs of kids in recovery after their seizures had stopped and stuff. Those things always excited me. Season finale of LOST in early 2009 was a close second.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Not a song, but a piece of music from LOST. For some reason, it resonated with me this past year.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you skinnier or fatter? richer or poorer? happier or sadder?
I am fatter, poorer and sadder than this time last year. This time last year we were RIGHT on the opening page of the Bennett thing. If I was answering this after March 5th, the answer would be happier.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Gone to Baltimore more. The one trip I took was fantastic. Seeing old friends and the old town was a highlight of the year. I really miss being there.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We had multiple Christmas celebrations, all of which were a bit blah to me. I was really in a funk at that time.
21. Did you fall in love with 2009?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. What was the best book you read?
A Shot in the Dark.
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Bose iPod Speaker Dock. Wow. What a difference it makes listening to music.
26. What did you want and get?
Seizure freedom for my son.
27. What did you want and not get?
A total and complete recovery for my son with all his abilities back after the surgery. Hey...the question didn't say 'BE REALISTIC'.
28. What was your favorite film of 2009?
Sherlock Holmes. District 9 is a close 2nd.
29. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
I did nothing. I turned 42.
30. What one thing would have improved your year immeasurably?
To have had a few more things go our way with the MVP stuff. Like many other aspects of 2009 for me, this process also got WAY bogged down by lots of factors.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2009?
I have no fashion concept. In any year.
32. What kept you sane?
Blogging and medication.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
NO idea. My world was very personal and inwardly focused in 2009. Could not really tell you any big thing I remember politically from 2009..
34. Who did you miss?
35. Who was the best new person you met?
Physically met, as in face-to-face? Elaine Coleman.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
I can survive anything. It may not be easy, I may be irreversibly altered, but I can survive any tragedy that befalls me. Well, except my own death I suppose.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I get by with a little help from my friends.
Hmmm...why 37 questions? That's weird. And...did you notice there was no number 25? I might have copied the thing wrong back when I did it, but I don't have the energy to go searching for Katy's original post. BUT...my OCD will not permit this glaring omission. So I am adding a 25th question.
25. Who were you the most grateful for having in your life in 2009?
Easy. Mike Horn. Had my back every minute of every day, and I never doubted it. It was actually great to have more regular contact like the old days. One of the other highlights in 2009.
OK, that's it for today. In the words of Brady Quinn...'Now I'm done.'