Monday, April 19, 2010

Where is Your U-Zone?


Do you have a place that you go to sort of get away from people in your immediate surroundings? Some folks have gardens, dens, giant bathrooms, offices, hell I know one guy who turned his garage into sort of a Man Cave. TV in there and everything. No A/C or heat, but I don't think that matters when you need the decompression time.

It's 5:35PM, on a Monday afternoon. I have the feeling things are going to be rough again with Bennett tonight like they were yesterday. Molar City. Pain. Resulting in screeching, throwing, slapping, biting and a generally unpleasant disposition.

My solution?

Retreat to the basement. What I like to call the Fortress of Sold-it-tude. It really isn't a place for fun, it's all about work. I have stuff to count, stuff to wrap, stuff to ship, stuff to photograph and stuff to go through, and this is where I go when I need to have a zone just for me. Hell I spend most of the day down here anyway.


Damn...having the laptop this close to the wireless router the Internet is super speedy. I'm probably losing sperm the longer I'm down here, though. I hate all this stuff we know nothing about floating in the air.

But here, in this homage to capitalism, I am usually left all alone. No comfortable chairs, no frills really. Carter comes down occasionally to look at some of the toys, but the No-Touch-Under-Pain-Of-Death rule applies, and he gets bored fast.

So here I stand (no desk), listening to the sounds of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom on my iPod Speaker Dock. Nice. Kick Mola Rom's ass, Indy! He betrayed Shiva!!!


Where's your U-Zone? Where do you go and what do you do when you need a few minutes to an hour to just be alone without the pressure of the world kicking you in the balls or slapping you in the face?

Lemme hear about it...


6 comments:

  1. Trader Joes. It's different for women. We need an excuse to retreat and shopping is the perfect excuse. Needing something in a store that is at least 20 minutes away is the best because it guarantees 40 minutes of solitude in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The room with the computer. Hubby comes home and mommy decompresses at the computer. Everybody's gotta have some kind of escape, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly... in the summer I OFFER to mow the lawn so I can throw on the ipod and block out the world. What's wrong with me???

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my house, I retreat to the bathroom. It is the one place that the kids do not follow either myself or my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My bedroom, at the end of the night when KC is finally asleep (for a moment anyway) and homework is done...I lay in bed and watch a TV show. (One of the perks of being a single parent?) It's my alone time and I love it. KC usually joins me by about 11pm, so I usually have an hour or two :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wandering the aisles of Home Depot letting my engineer mind take over to figure out what I can use to make these two lifelong projects come to fruition. If at home, the bedroom is my man cave ... in there it's hide, sleep, or if I'm lucky ...

    ReplyDelete