Monday, June 28, 2010

And You Thought I Wasn't Going to Post Today


Neither did I, actually. Well, I sort of did, but also I knew that if a window opened I'd hit it with a quickie. Had no idea what that quickie was gonna be, until one of my SN Sisters sent me a link to a very interesting video.



So I watched it. Not sure what to make of it, but what is most important about the video itself is the person giving the talk drives the point home that in order to fully understand neurological diagnoses like 'Autism' and other such things, you cannot just use behavioral analysis, you have to use more sophisticated EEG methods.

Makes sense.

You know what really struck me?


That 1 in 6 number. 1 in 6. That's really remarkable. Shitty, SHITTY odds. We are really fucking up our kids with the way we have manipulated this planet and it's resources and our chemically dependent existence is catching up to us through our kids.

Sucks.

How do you live a chemical free life though? How do you remove all harmful shit in the world? Is it even possible anymore? Is so much crap embedded so deeply in our lives, our bodies, our DNA that we are looking at an evolutionary change in humanity itself?


Big questions, huh? No you know why I am so fucked in the head. This is the kind of stuff I think about, but then DO NOTHING ABOUT. Maybe I think I can't change the world. Maybe I am just a shitty parent. Feel that way a lot. More often than not.

But that's the way it is.

Anyway...I need to find out more about that EEG Helmet those kids were wearing. Looked much less invasive. I am also VERY interested to see what EEG results we get in August at the (gulp) ONE YEAR FOLLOW-UP to the Brain Surgery.

Dammit...I set out to do a quickie and it always turns into a longie. I gotta learn to be brief, concise and know when to shut the fuck up.


OUT.

P.S.
I'm a complete asshole. I kept focusing on that doc's last name of Shankardass and the fact that she was kind of hot.

6 comments:

  1. I used to worry about the whole wide world and how to fix it...gave me anxiety attacks for some 20 years. Then I realized all had to do was change myself...and the whole world changed around me. As for your "asshole-ness"...nah...just man blog stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a pretty interesting video. Shows you how many brain diagnosis are just educated guesses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she makes a valid point - you should use the tools for brain diagnostics over anecdotal evidence to confirm a developmental diagnosis. I want to know what seizure medicine they used on the boy in the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember a board meeting for PACE when one of our medical advisors, a geneticist, rather casually confirmed one of our lay person's questions: Are we basically evolving into an autistic world?

    He said, Yes, sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. going to repost this.

    P.S. thanks for the laugh on the PS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and about the cap. My udnestanding was they weren't as good. Because there is no conductive paste/glue (the part we hate), the signals aren't as strong. But maybe things have changed since I last looked into them.

    ReplyDelete