Monday, July 12, 2010

Six

Carter Maximus Lilly turns six years old today.


Six years.

SIX YEARS.

Sometimes it feels like only yesterday, though sometimes over the past year it has felt like several lifetimes ago. My relationship with Carter has suffered some over the past 18 months. A Special Needs sibling can make it tough on everyone, especially the 'typical' kid who kind of gets pushed to the side a little bit.

That will evolve, and grow, and change as our lives do. I hope. I have a lot of responsibility there as well, and I need to start living up to the things I should do for him. I need to be a better father.

But, make no mistake, I love the little guy. He's very spunky. He makes me laugh. I make him laugh. He gets into some of the things I expose him to, like Batman, Godzilla, Spongebob and most recently Fanboy and Chum Chum (a fantastic show by the way). Of course he likes Janitor Poopatine as much as I do. Just for different reasons.


And speaking of Poopa---, I mean PALPATINE, I've tried a few times to get him more into a teeny weeny thing called Star Wars? Mmmm...not so much. But I'm patient. If he will not be turned, then he will be...hey wait, that's my kid I'm talking about shooting lightning bolts at out of my beefy fingertips.

Anyway, birthday celebration to commence this evening. Mirth will be in abundance. Photos of said event will be shared later in the week, possibly as early as tomorrow.

I just wanna know one thing though...how in the world did he go from this...


...to THIS...


...in the blink of an eye?

Six years. Wow.

OUT.


8 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your little man! Isn't it wonderful having someone to brainwash... uh... I mean to share all your passions with! Enjoy the party and enjoy your family tonight. You guys really deserve a carefree, Carter-centered night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the Star Wars front- have you tried the lego? Or is he interested in the games? Ben loves his Playstation Star Wars lego. That's what started it for him...Now I'm sounding like a real geek!
    Happy birthday Carter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. Mirth is always a good thing for a birthday party. :)

    Hug him a lot...while he'll still let ya!

    ...danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I've been following your blog for a couple of months, but I have never commented before.

    First, happy birthday to Carter! My twins will be turning six in a couple of months ... and I, too, geek that I am, am trying to brainwash them into loving Star Wars.

    I also know that having a child with "issues," "special needs," "complications," or "whatever the hell is the acceptable term these days" can alter your relationship with ALL your children -- heck, with all your relationships, period.

    Have a good time at the party -- and enjoy celebrating Carter!

    Tara,
    Mom to 5 1/2 year old twins (one with CP) and a 4 year old desperate to be a triplet to the twins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Carter!
    Happy beginning of fatherhood day Ken.

    (Just wait until they are 9 1/2...ready to turn 10! Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Carter!

    Fanboy and Chum Chum is one show I can NOT handle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Carter!
    Ken, Enjoy this time, soak it all in. Yesterday he was coming home wrapped in baby blankets.... tomorrow he will be like my boys, 13,15 years old, 6'2", size 14 shoes and needing a shave!
    Now THAT makes a guy feel his age...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope Carter's day was extra special....

    You will always feel that you haven't given enough to the "normal" kid....But they are alot better adjusted than we give them credit for! Believe me!

    You are so right..."in the blink of an eye...." My oldest will turn 29 next month....It still shocks me when I think about it!

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete