Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Beauty is Dying


By now you've heard the news that Elizabeth Taylor died at the age of 79.

You knew it was coming at some point down the road, you just weren't sure when. The two-time Academy Award winning actress and activist died of heart failure. But that isn't the main point of this post. The main point is, and not to make light of the fact that she passed, is this...

Holy Crap, she was SMOKIN' hot in her prime. As were SO many women from that time period and that 'era', which I am a huge, huge fan of.

Why are the young female stars of today in the public eye so far, far removed from this?

What is the compulsion that leads SO many women, young and not so young, to the knife? And even the men?


I don't know if plastic surgery existed in those days, I really don't, but it seems to me, and I can only look at pictures since I don't have access to Dr. Emmett Brown, that women from the 30's through the middle of the 60's looked very natural.

They were curvy, rounded, their skin was not overly tanned and best of all...they all kind of looked a little different than one another. But still...it all goes back to that whole 'natural' thing.

Makes me wonder...and I'm almost embarrassed to do this, here in a post where I am almost speaking primarily about boobs, about the way Hollywood Starlets and Pin-Ups now look compared to how they used to look. But it does make me wonder if there is a parallel between that line of thought and society as a whole, the Natural versus the Un-Natural and it's affect on All of Us.

In other words...the rise of Autism rates, chemical additives, suspicious additives in foods and vaccinations, the decline of the overall health of our society, and on and on and on...all the things that are going on to our minds and bodies in our Chemical World.

Things are definitely Changing. Have been for quite a while.


Not all Change is Good.

Perhaps some of what we are seeing in how our 'idols' appear is actually a reflection of what we, as a people, are becoming...on the inside?

If I start thinking too much about that, my head will explode.

Let's get back to the titties before that happens, shall we?


There are exceptions to be sure, but you probably are BARELY aware of these women, even though I like them. Luke Milton knows who they are by name, since he and I seem to share a psychic bond when it comes to this kind of appreciation of all things regarding Ze Wimmens, but most people? Probably not.

On the other hand, if I mention the name Megan Fox, everybody probably knows who that is. But to me? Megan is really not much of a fox. Natalie Wood in her prime? Smokes her in every category.



But that's just one man's opinion.

I won't bore you with more comparison's. Sometimes a picture really is worth a thousand words.

Remember how I said my friend and former partner in crime Kim, who was my better half at the place I used to work, Palisades Toys, sends me funny pictures to help keep my mood elevated? One day I got this one, and it has stuck with me ever since. It strikes me not just as funny, but very, very poignant. And sad.


See what I mean?

OUT.

8 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more,first and foremost what a beauty Elizabeth Taylor was,on the inside as well as the out.

    Watched the Academy Awards this year and was struck by how many of the stars had work ... especially the men... Billy Crystal for instance and Tom Hanks forehead is looking way too tight.

    I turn 47 in September and I would be lying if I didn't say that I look in the mirror and in some moments, cannot believe some of the new lines that appear daily.And forget the hair,I have been gray since my 30's but on that one,I am not going gracefully,color every 4 weeks.

    Here in LA,plastic surgery is crazy big.And I am not just talking stars.Even some of my friends,whom I love dearly,have caved.Me, no way,cuz does anyone else notice it but in the quest to look younger,somehow they have this weird way of looking older.Know what I mean?

    Don't get me wrong,not digging the aging thing sometimes but trying to embrace the fact that ... at least I am aging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As were SO many women from that time period and that 'era', which I am a huge, huge fan of."

    Well, I gotta say, I'm a huge, huge, HUGE fan of them as well. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is the issue of photography too, Ken, as you well know. Because it's so easy to snap and share photos these days, we see these "new stars" all the time, in every light. The old photos were taken very carefully, with a thought to lighting and bringing out the best in the women photographed...plus...so many black and whites! Personally...black and white photog rocks. Aging gracefully is important too. I can't imagine what it would be like to be followed by paparazzi 24/7, but it must do a number on your confidence. In any case...yeah...the ladies were lovely, and, so were the men, Ken!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree.

    I was looking through some pictures the other day and found one of my grandma when she was in high school, she looked like an old movie star, she just looked beautiful. Then I look at some of the high school girls running around with skin that looks like leather from the crazy amount of tanning they do and makeup that makes them look like a clown more than anything else that comes to mind. And I wonder what in the world they are thinking? Then I wonder what they will look like when they get ahold of money for things like Botox.

    I just think its sad. I don't look perfect, but I look like me(other than the hair color, but really that is just for fun), and that seems just fine to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Claire and you, Ken. Those women were as much constructs of the studio system (their elusiveness, the lighting, the staging, etc.) as the women of today with all their surgical "enhancements." As for all the surgery done in Los Angeles, I understand the capital of surgery is actually Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When asked "If you were confined to a hospital bed, who would you want in the bed next to you?" Johnny Carson (remember him?) responded "Carlo Ponti." Except for the fact that poor Carlo has passed (exhaustion?), I fully agree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those studio shots were seriously touched up and those women were caked in makeup. Clark Gable had all his teeth pulled and replaced with dentures to improve his looks. But I agree with your point in general-- makeup washes off and touching up a photo is a far cry from cutting up a person.

    The obsession with youth and a limited construct of what's beautiful is incredibly dangerous. And we, as a society, seem to want the easy way out a lot of the time-- want to be thin? forget exercise and a healthy diet and go for pills and a chemical quick fix. Want a healthy glow to your skin? forget watching what you put into your body and go for tanning beds and makeup. Don't worry about the lead (and other things) in the makeup.

    Guess I have to google Megan Fox now 'cause it's the only reference I didn't get.

    --Annika

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best blog I've read in ages anywhere. They make barbie type dolls now with massive heads and tiny bodies. They want us to think anorexia is normal. Of course I see those dolls and think hydrocephalus. Parents in the neuro world think differently... I hate the image that is projected on young girls these days. I hate the expectations that end up driving them to one extreme or the other. Have you noticed that there are no average girls anymore. They are either skinny or fat. There is no middle ground I think because when you cannot reach the unattainable ideal, and you accept that its unreachble, it's easier to let weight drift to the other extreme.

    ReplyDelete