Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Hawking a Loogie


loo-gie [lōōg'i] - noun
1. a lump of sputum (as in phelgm or mucus) coughed (or, onomatopoeically, 'hawked') up from the lungs and spat out.

It's ironic that the expression is 'Hawk a loogie!', since that is what many people think Stephen Hawking did recently to many a face in the spiritual community when he gave his opinions about the lack of the existence of a Heaven or a Supreme Being in the Universe in an interview for The Guardian in the UK.

In case you have no idea who Stephen Hawking is...essentially he is the closest thing this planet has to Reed Richards.


Oh. Wait a second. You probably have no idea who Reed Richards is, well...most of you don't. Instead, let me put it this way. It would not be difficult to put together an argument that Professor Hawking is the smartest human being on this planet.

And he certainly has earned the right to speak out about Faith.

I say that only because in our world, and I am speaking to each and every one of us specifically, my Special Needs Brethren and Sistren, some of whom wield Faith as both sword and shield in our various battles against disability and the Hells that accompany it, just to make sure you understand that this man has fought some astonishing battles in our world against a crippling motor neuron disease.

I'm not writing this blog today to say tell you whether or not I agree or disagree with Professor Hawking. Who the Hell do I know if there is a Heaven or a God? I will say I love the man, I admire the man, he is on my Top 25 Human Beings of the 20th Century List, no doubt about it.

The reason I brought it up is because I am VERY curious to hear from the rest of YOU. I know many of you, some I am VERY close to, some I wish I was closer to, who are deeply spiritual, and some who are on the fence, and some who have jumped over the fence. But I am very curious to hear what you all think about the Prof's statements if you'd care to share yours.


So if you have some time, check out the interview and then come back and chit-chat a little bit about it. The subject of Faith, if you have read this blog for any length of time, then you know it is something that is very important to me. You know I am in the midst of probably my greatest Faith crisis. While I can't say that my Faith is gone for good, I can say that it is in the most fragile state it has ever been and it is so far away from me I am not sure I would even recognize it if I were to find it again. I am not even certain it is in a state where it can ever be restored to its former state of glory...and there was a time it was unflappable.

So I would love to hear your thoughts...but only if you have the time. I know we all have a ton to do.

Thanks! And of course...

OUT.

13 comments:

  1. My two cents.... to truly believe means you don't need tangible proof of existence (or proof of non-existence). You just "let go" and believe.

    ~~from the non-church going Catholic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought it was "hork" a loogie, or a lunger. That's what I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good friend of mine recently referred to this "news" as Hawking being just another man in a long line of those with a single vision of scientific materialism. William Blake, the great 18th century poet and artist once wrote of Sir Issac Newton, perhaps the first scientific materialism thus:

    Now I a fourfold vision see
    And a fourfold vision is given to me
    Tis fourfold in my supreme delight
    And three fold in soft Beulahs night
    And twofold Always. May God us keep
    From Single vision & Newtons sleep."

    I prefer Blake to Newton any day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He knows nothing more about the the existence of an afterlife than you or I. There is no scientific fact that there is an afterlife, however there is no scientific fact that there ISN'T. I choose to believe that life goes on because as crazy an idea it is, it comforts me. When my time comes, I won't beable to do anything about it anyways so why worry? No one gets out of here alive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Hawking rejected the notion of life beyond death and emphasized the need to fulfill our potential on Earth by making good use of our lives. In answer to a question on how we should live, he said, simply: "We should seek the greatest value of our action." ... this I absolutely,without a doubt, whole heartedly agree with.That,as well as believing, that Hawkings is an amazing,inspiring man but,and you knew this was coming ...I do believe there is more after we are done on this earth.I cannot come close to telling you exactly why.Have there been times of doubt,for various reasons,absolutely.But in the end,I circle back to this:"Faith is being sure if what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."~Hebrews 11:1

    Something tells me your are not surprised by my response.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my rebuttal to Prof Hawking is over at www.ourfamilyof4.com. But I do believe in a High Power. There has to be meaning to the lives we are leading. To believe that death is the end is really depressing, and what do you have to live for then? Life is not fair, no one said that God would sugar coat everything, but He will be there when we need Him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What does he say about Santa?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and just read this post at a blog I have been reading lately.Thought of you and thought I would pass it along.Can't say it does much for my so called "case" but nonetheless,as I sit here,unable to sleep,thought of you.
    http://www.schuylersmonsterblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Didn't see that comin'. I totally thought you were hackin' up some groady with all your sickness drama.

    Anyway.

    Have you watched Ben Stein's Expelled documentary? I think you might actually enjoy it. A take from the other angle. And while Stein may not be in the same brain league as Hawkings...there are men in the documentary that possibly are.

    I know the thought is specific to Afterlife...but since my belief in the Afterlife is intrinsically connected to my belief in the NOWlife...

    You already know I Believe. I see the finger print of God in many places. One of the most powerful being when Trevy says a word that Science tells me he shouldn't be able to. The brain is an amazing organ. For me...too amazing to attribute to random design.

    But I also see the pain out there. Heck, I live it. So how do I reconcile the pain & brokenness with God? For me...it's a reflection of the groaning of us all for Healing. To some it will sound simple and childish. But I believe when Adam & Eve (oh yes...I believe in them too. Silly me ;) chose sin it brought with it consequence. That single decision shifted the course of the world. It was cursed. And the curse brought with it things more horrific than we can imagine. Although Infantile Spasms has given me a taste. The pain in my life and others is - to me - a reflection that we live in a broken world. A world groaning for a Savior. I believe Jesus is that Savior. And I believe true Healing (Trevy's brokenness is just more obvious than my own. But trust me...I need heart healing just as desperately as he needs body healing. If not more so.) comes in Eternity. I can't imagine that all this...the drama...the tears...the joys...the struggles...it's all for nothing?

    I'm reading a great book right now. 1000 Gifts. The author does a beautiful job of articulating my heart.

    Anyway...

    I hate responding to these questions. I always feel inadequate. I Believe...but somehow I can never put my thoughts together in a way that satisfies me. And maybe that's because God is bigger than my ability to think. Or write. Or connect words to describe Him.

    The easy, obvious and already stated answer is: it takes Faith in either direction.

    So there. Spoken like an x-missionary, right?

    Love you, Kenly.

    ...danielle

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is very difficult at times to even try to believe in God when our lives are so hard. If there is a God, why are his "children" in so much pain? How to explain a child born with, or acquiring, a disability, a child in hunger and extreme poverty, wars, natural disasters, pestilence (had to throw that in too), etc., etc.? I do believe in God yet I also believe that many things happen without a reason, and it is how we handle things randomly thrown at us that matters. I don't believe God says to one of us - You will win Powerball today; and to another - You will have a child who will suffer immensely and die young. I do believe that when bad things happen, He is there for us, and that He is watching to see how we choose to live on after tragedy.

    A college roommate had a poster in our room that said "Don't pray for an easy life. Pray to be a stronger person." I still live by that.

    I also agree with the commenter who said that Hawkings knows no more about the afterlife than you or I. None of us knows for sure what happens next. I just believe there are too many "signs" of God's hand in Creation and of His love for us to discount.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like to thank you all for leaving comments, and such thoughtful ones. I encourage anyone who hasn't and still wants to (RICHARD) to continue to do so. I have some of my own thoughts on the subject but am waiting a bit to put them down.

    When I do, which I will do in an actual post, I will hit these comments there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hawking is a natural materialist. He starts with the assumption (which is unscientifically conformable or deniable)that all that exists is the natural world. He travels through life on this trajectory theorizing all of life to fit in his narrow framework. This is where his "theory of everything" comes from, this is why when he gets to an event with no natural explanation he creates the "theory of things instantly popping into existence."

    When Hawking is right he is brilliant; when he is wrong he is a major fool.

    Of course this lines up with God's word that if you reject Him long enough you travel from wisdom to foolishness.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm niether on the fence, or over the fence..... I'm the one building the fence....
    But I will say that Stephen Hawking is not only the smartest human I've heard of currently on the planet, but he's intelligent enough to admit when he's wrong. 'Course that's only happened once....

    ReplyDelete