Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fate or Coincidence?


It is a question that I ask myself often.

It is a debate I often find myself engaging in with a dear friend of mine, one who I have written about many times in these pages, a man named Richard, author of Daddyspeak. Richard is a very spiritual dude, and he and I often speak of the G-Man, though in very, very different terms.

Richard is much more literal in his beliefs than I am. I have to warp and distort things in order to fit into my brain. I have to make things work in order to have Faith. But I have gone over that before.


My thinking is...hey, whatever works for you, great.

Same philosophy applies to anything that is good for you, doesn't it? If you prefer solitude and watching television and a certain level of privacy and you like to jog on a treadmill indoors, but that is what you do for exercise, then that is JUST as good as the other guy who enjoys going out to the local park and jogging around the trail, sucking in the sights and sounds of nature.

Because at least you are both DOING SOMETHING GOOD for your bodies and minds.

Anyway...I do not know how I feel about Divine Intervention. I struggle so often with the notion of it. I struggled with it during the entire iPad Incident I wrote about before. I think I will struggle with it all my life.

And that is OK. Struggle is probably good. It means, at the very least, that it is on my mind, and I won't argue that this alone, all by itself, is a GREAT thing.


Heard about this today, and it got me thinking about Fate vs. Coincidence. It is a story about a man who stopped along the side of a road to help two stranded women change a flat tire, and the events that occured afterward.

Good Deed Repaid on Wisconsin Highway

You tell me.

Fate? Coincidence? Who knows? Truthfully, it doesn't really matter what it is. It is still GOOD.

And THAT is what matters most.

OUT.

5 comments:

  1. Before Copernicus we thought the sun revolved around the earth because that is what it appears to do. Someone may understand the mechanizations of the heavens and of astounding "coincidences", but it is most likely beyond the grasp of most. After all we take the word of Copernicus and others but we ourselves cannot actually prove the earth's celestial orbit.
    Whether taking the point of view that it is God's hand or coincidence is therefore moot.
    Seeing it in the sense that you state, "it's good and that's what matters" is perhaps the pre-Copernican view, but one that I have also grown to accept.
    The problem is when something bad happens and you try to reconcile it with the viewpoint that good 'coincidences' were God's handywork. So then who made your son's epilepsy? The big picture is, in my opinion, too big to get an answer to that question and the focus is on what we have in our hands to deal with, because the rules or laws governing these things are simply something which we have no control over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you know me, I am going for the God thing because, well, you know me.

    With that said, I also subscribe to the mindset the what is good for one is not necessarily good for another.

    It's all good right? Well,not all actually, but most, if we just know where to look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Zoey, sort of, but that's only because her's is the only comment that makes sense!

    Oh, and that tire changing guy? Just a lucky poor schmuck. Helping people ain't all it's cracked up to be. Or maybe it is ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happen to know a guy who, in a similar fashion, stopped to help some strangers change a flat tire. Sadly, he was struck by a passing car and had his leg amputated as a result. Good deed, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch.

    Well you know I always lean toward a hybrid of coincidence/karma, but I am way more of a proponent of the Shit Happens theory, and that seems never more applicable than in the case of your friend, Grooda.

    Damn, that is terrible luck.

    ReplyDelete