Friday, January 2, 2015

Could Money Buy Me Happiness?


Tricky question. And one that was posed on my friend Jerry Macaluso's Facebook page a short while ago. Specifically he said 'Can money buy happiness? Give me more than a yes or no. Explain why your answer using logic and facts.'

Ha. Logic and Facts. Me. Too funny.

I'll just call it like I see it and hope for the best.

And oh yeah...hi. Been a while. More on that later. I'll have to just play slow catch up. And figure out if I still feel like doing this as I go along.

But back to Jerry's question. Money, and by money I mean Shitloads of It Via Quantities of Sickening Numbers, could help set up deterrents that would ease much of the stress that occur in the daily life of our Special Needs House. But all the money in the world won't make Bennett normal again. Ever. That ship sailed.

I could possibly get to a place of feeling a lot happier seeing him get better overall managed care, better resources, better opportunities, which might free me up to create some opportunities for myself and the rest of my family. I see that Monster Money could afford me a chance to maybe repair some damage that has befallen the relationships between me and my wife, Carter and I, and so on and so forth. I know, from the experience of having moved back in to the home after a separation that there is work in these areas that needs to occur that no amount of money will fix in and of itself, money will just assist them, but the truth is that actual work is required and real results can only be achieved from within.

Money makes this Disability Road easier to walk, but it doesn't mean I can't walk it without money. The lack of money just puts a lot of shit in the road that keeps me off of it. Slows progress.

Nutshelling it, money to me is a symptom remover. And we have symptoms in this Special Needs House coming out of our ears. Take some of those symptoms away, we still got ALL the conditions that came with Infantile Spasms, Autism, Brain Surgery, etc., and we still have the problems of any other group or people.

And then there is also this...I could be as rich as Midas, and still beat myself up every day that Bennett says Five when I ask him how old he is, after having just told him Seven just 10 seconds prior. And then a bit later same thing. And again. And again. His cognitive functions were just ripped to shreds. Money helps that some. But unless the funding is limitless in scope I shudder when I think how far we have come in some areas in 5 years and how little in others with some great things for Bennett to take advantage of.

Well, the conclusion, Jerry, is that I guess the money wouldn't buy me happiness. But it could buy me a house that was Bennetized with sinks that were voice activated, doors that were fingerprint ID locked, an on-site behavioral staff in an attached facility, everything he needed to be safe and secure. Then on the flip side an indoor pool and a 24-7 lifeguard, a small slow going roller coaster, lots of Skee Ball and other indoor type games, a basketball hoop, ice rink, and the like. Essentially my own ramped up Chuck E Cheese or Magic Mountain on Crack.

The Money would buy HIM happiness. And Carter too. And that might just make me happy. :)

PEACE.

10 comments:

  1. At this point, money could totally buy me happiness.

    I'm glad you're back and hope you're well. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto Elizabeth's comment.

      Delete
    2. I hope I'm back. You know how that goes.

      Delete
  2. Made me think and made me cry. My life seems so much less complicated. Thanks for sharing this, Ken <3 Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully a short cry! Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. I think money would make a lot of things easier in my life, which would in turn make it easier for me to be happy. So yeah, I'll take the money :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lines makes me think about a true thing French people says:
    "L'argent ne fait pas le bonheur, mais ca aide bien à faire les courses"
    With my bad English, i can translate it to:
    "Money can't give you happiness, but it helps you when you're at the supermarket for some food"

    So true.
    We can live without money, but sure it can help to live better.

    ReplyDelete